Connecting early childhood students to the outdoors can run into practical challenges for very young students. Physical endurance and the simple proximity to a handy bathroom are just a few factors that can reduce the frequency and duration of neighborhood and green space explorations. Our Lower School Beautification Project is designed to further our school mission by achieving the following:
- Create a variety of outdoor teaching spaces designed to foster early childhood explorations of the green and built environment.
- Highlight the use of a wide variety of sustainable building materials.
- Help students to appreciate the connection between design, beauty, health and happiness.
- Provide dynamic examples of intentional reuse and redirection of water.
- Creation and maintenance of indigenous shrub and tree borders – (intentional design of green spaces).
- Provision of natural play structures.
- Creation of quiet reflective green spaces.
- Connect our whole community to intentional outdoor design – (educational signage).
- Examples of clean energy collection and use – Solar / Hydro / Wind
- Incorporate an existing “Edible Schoolyard Project”
- Model the value of ongoing community stewardship
Make a Lasting Impact. Buy a Brick!
ECS’s Legacy Brick Drive supports the Lower School Beautification Project! The Giving Path is an opportunity for our supporters to gain concrete recognition. Serving as a pathway from the upper garden to the lower green play space for students, families, and faculty members at our Lower School, the walkway provides a legacy for future generations at ECS. The walkway’s natural and embedded location is ideal for donors to show gratitude and appreciation of the built and natural worlds. Purchase a legacy brick to be placed in the pathway of the lower school for your family, alumni, favorite teacher, or add an inspirational quote for children. 4”x8” bricks are available for purchase of $150, 2 lines and up to 18 character per line. Click here to make your order today! Brick Certificates and Donor Bricks w/ Felt Backing are available for an additional fee.