As with everything this year, the K-9 student photo collection will look a bit different. Since there wasn’t a school photo day this fall, we will need to collect individual photos from the families directly. See details here.
The PCO Staff Appreciation Committee is excited about giving winter holiday gifts to the teachers and staff of ECS once again. The plan is to have one comprehensive collection. More info and donate here by December 8.
This year’s Fair Trade Marketplace is online! Shop for your holiday gifts from the comfort of your home, and a percentage of all orders will support ECS. You’ll find thousands of unique items made by artisans around the world. Click here for shopping links and instructions for purchasing to ensure that a percentage of your order is donated to ECS PCO.
The PCO is working on our school-wide directory to help parents connect to ECS and each other during this disconnected year. You should be receiving your SchoolMint online registration packet from ECS now. If you want to have your student’s name published in this year’s directory, please answer “Yes” to the registration question “Would you like your child to be included in the directory”. After choosing “yes”, you can then opt-in or opt-out of all additional contact information. Include as much or little contact info as you like! PDF copies of the directory will be emailed to everyone who shares their email address (no print versions this year). If you have any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
The Fair Trade Marketplace will be happening in a new and different way this year. Instead of an in-person event in the ECS school building, we’ll be asking supporters to purchase their fair trade gifts online through our vendors’ websites. In return, ECS will receive a percentage of the sales we send to these vendors so we can continue to raise critical funds for the school and support fair trade artisans around the world at the same time.
We will be announcing these opportunities now through December 2020, so keep an eye on this page!
Our first partnership is with an organization whose artisans quickly switched gears to making face masks during lockdown in India. ZuMantra is a Pittsburgh-based company working with artisan cooperatives in South Asia. They are offering 10% of all sales with this promo code: “CHARTER” to ECS. All profits from these masks will go back to the women artisans. In addition, they are also donating a mask for each mask bought to Pittsburgh non-profit 412 Food Rescue! To place an order, go to http://www.zumantra.org/masks and enter promo code “CHARTER” on the shopping cart page.
In January 2020, ECS PCO volunteers compiled a list of summer camps in the Pittsburgh area. It has been updated to reflect cancellations and modifications that have been made as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. See our Updated Summer Camp 2020 List.
Every time we raise money through our community, we turn it right back around and invest it all across our three schools in ways big and small. We are pleased to share below our Mini-Grants awarded this year, Specialist Fund requests fulfilled, and some of the many things we have provided funding for.
Mini-Grants Awarded 2019-2020 Academic Year:
– Parent Resource Center (housed in Middle School)
– Battle of the Books (Middle School)
– Culturally Diverse Picture Books to Read and Share
– Spanish Class Resources (K-5)
– Tourniquets/Clotting gauze for Staff (all grades)
– Flexible Seating (4A)
– Children’s Grief Awareness Day (35 students in 3 schools)
– 6th Grade Literacy grant request
– 8th Grade Literacy grant request
– Kindergarten Grade Literacy grant request
– Stars of Hope (Middle School)
– Speed Stacking Cups (Middle School PE)
– GSSU Gender Sexuality Student Union
– Sustainable & Safe Edible School Yards
– Lower School Garden & Apple Tree Guild (1st & 2nd grade)
– Chess Club (23 first graders)
– New Calculators for 6th Grade Math
– ECS Ecostewards Rain Garden Rehab
– Middle School Project Fair (“Museum of Student Work”)
– Nature looms for all 3 campuses (access at recess)
– 3rd Grade Literacy – Mystery Series Books
– Lighting for All Occasions (school-wide events – Mr. R.)
– Shelves for PE (intermediate school)
K-5 Music: Let the Creativity Begin!
K-5 Health/PE: Goals in Intermediate PE
K-5 ESY: Season Extension
K-5 Discovery: Discovery Block Imaginative Play
K-5 Thinking Lab: Supplies
K-5 Spanish: Bilingual Books
Athletics: Additional Basketball & Futsal Uniforms (Middle School ECS athletes)
Special gift to Middle School: Gaga Ball Pit
– Directory Printing
– Calendar Printing
– K-5 Yearbook
– Garden Fund
– Health/Nurse Fund
– Helping Hands Fund
– Specialist Fund
– Classroom party kits
– Room parent funding (budget given for each classroom)
– Special Programming/Enrichment
– Teacher Book Fund expenses
– Staff Appreciation Gifts
– Staff Coffee Supplies
– Staff snacks, treats and sweets
PCO Community Events
– Fall Festival
– New Families Welcome
– Scavenger Hunt
– School Summer Events
– Summer Play Dates
– Gingerbread House Decorating
– Field Days
– Middle School Social Events
PCO COVID-19 Relief Fund