Several volunteer opportunities happen before the school year begins and we need you for a few key positions:
- The Lamination Squad – learn to laminate and then provide ongoing assistance with lamination throughout the school year.
- Busy Bees – we need someone to lead the Busy Bees and help the staff with tasks over the summer to help get ready for the new school year! We also need more Bees!
- Staff Appreciation – put together welcome letters and treats for the staff and distribute before school starts. The letter info will be given to you so you just need to get it copied. Treats will need to be purchased.
Other opportunities for volunteering are listed on the PCO sign-up page.
Contact Beth at email@example.com with questions.
There are two great fall events that are in need of someone to organize and run them. One is an adult-only mixer for ECS parents and staff. It’s a great way to build community relationships. We’ve hosted the free Autumn Chill chili cook-off the past 5 years with success and someone could plug into that model… or create their own! Our second event is the Frick Park Scavenger Hunt. This one is easy, but it needs a leader, planner and volunteers. If you want to help keep events like this going, we’d love to chat with you! Contact Beth at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss further. We don’t want to lose these events but we need someone to take them on.
The PCO is organized and operated by a Steering Committee. For the upcoming school year, we are looking for up to six new members to help shape the year… to work together to plan and organize meetings, brainstorm ideas, spear-head fundraising efforts, plan fun events, and much more. The Steering Committee currently has the following openings available. We’d love to welcome some new faces to this friendly team.
- Members at Large – participate in activities of the Steering Committee including meetings, participate in PCO events, vote on important PCO decisions, and share thoughts and ideas.
- Lower School Vice Chair – assist the Chair in planning meetings and events, serve as parent representative for the Lower School, and check PCO mailbox once a week.
- Upper School Vice Chair – assist the Chair in planning meetings and events, serve as parent representative for the Upper School, and check PCO mailbox once a week.
- Treasurer – oversee the financial operations of the PCO including record keeping, reporting on budgets, and other financial activities.
This is an open, friendly, and welcoming team and we hope you will consider joining us as we continue our work in making ECS a great place for our kids, staff, and families.
More information about Steering Committee responsibilities
Consider volunteering for the PCO! There are opportunities to fit everyone’s interests and schedules.
Read What You Need to Know about Volunteering with the PCO
Read about our volunteer opportunities and sign up today!.
The ECS Urban Ecostewards group maintains a Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy site in Frick Park and keeps it free of invasive plants. Meet at the parking lot off Braddock Ave, between the Upper School and tennis court. We will hike down from there to site. Tools, gloves, and training provided. Bring shoes that can take soggy ground! Fun for the entire family and a chance to learn something about our local environment. Everybody can help, just bring firm shoes and a water bottle.
- Saturday, September 10 – 10 am – 1pm
- Friday. September 16, 3:30 – 5:30 pm
- Saturday, October 8, 10 am – 12 pm
- Friday, October 14, 3:30 – 5:30 pm
- Saturday, November 12, 10 am – 12 pm
- Friday, November 18, 3:30 – 5:30 pm
Questions? Email email@example.com or call/text 412-726-5969.
Ecostewards on Facebook
Every year we ask ECS staff members to fill out a survey of their favorite things. We ask their favorite treat and favorite coffee shop drink, among other things. I’m setting out a challenge to make sure every staff member that took the time to fill out the survey gets a treat from their list. Here’s the list of staff members and what they love. Simply put your name next to the staff member you’d like to gift, and send something in by the end of the year! When you choose to do it is up to you!
In order to accommodate busy schedules, ECS EcoStewards offer different times to help keep Frick Park free of invasive plant species. Everybody can help, just bring firm shoes and a water bottle. We meet at the tennis court parking lot off Braddock Ave, behind the Upper School.
The new dates are:
- Friday, May 6 – 4-6pm
- Saturday, May 14 – 10am-noon
- Friday, June 3 – 4-6pm
- Saturday, June 11 – 10 am–noon
In case of cancellation due to rain, we will meet the following Sunday, 10am – noon.
Friend us on Facebook: ECS Urban Ecostewards
Call or text: Ilona 412-726-5969 for questions.
We are looking for a few volunteers to fill one-hour slots during the afternoon of May 6 to assist families in plant pick-up. This is an enjoyable volunteering event as you are outside with beautiful flowers, interacting with fellow parents! The plants will already be organized; we just need helpers to assist families find their order as well as sell any “extra” plants. Sign up here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The annual ECS Gingerbread House event will take place on Saturday, December 12, 1-3pm in the Upper School Cafe. This wonderful tradition is a fun family event that all ages can enjoy! Come show off your creativity at this K-8th event and make your gingerbread masterpiece!
Deadline for registration forms has been extended to Wednesday, December 9.
If you would like to volunteer or donate decorations to help make our cafe look festive sign up here.
Contact Gerilen Trimbur at email@example.com with any questions.
There are many ways you can help enrich our children’s ECS experience. With the variety of volunteers we need, there are opportunities to fit everyone’s interests and schedules. Please see our committee list to sign up, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.